Private walking tour to the Catacombs
The existence of the Paris Catacombs go back to the 18th Century. At the time, due to major public health problems, cemeteries were transferred to the underground. During this private tour, you will be able to visit this underground area with a local expert. Discover this historical site, its estuary and architecture during a private Paris Catacombs walking tour.
Firstly, you will meet your guide in your central hotel or directly at the entrance to the Catacombs. Thereafter, you will start your guided visit to the site. During your tour, you will learn about the history of the site, why and how it was originated. You will learn why the local authorities decided to move some cemeteries to the undergrounds.
All our tours are private and tailor made. Get in contact with us, and we will help you arrange a personalized experience in Paris.
Private walking tour to the Catacombs | Points of Interests and Landmarks
Our private Paris Catacombs walking tour starts at the Denfert-Rochereau square, from where you will walk to the entrance of the Catacombs. Thereafter, you will descend 20 meters underground and wander around a 1.5 km of underground galleries full of interesting stories. Along with your private guide, you will discover its tunnels and strive to visit areas of exclusive access.
Firstly, you will admire numerous ancient inscriptions through its tunnels. You will see street names, signs left by the workers and the stone pillars of medieval times.
We will continue the journey towards the most relevant attraction: the ossuary area. This area was opened to the public in 1809, and instantly became a success. Walking by, we will continue to the Samaritan Fountain, a circular well-used by quarry workers for mortar preparation. Followed by the area of the French Revolution and finally the impressive Barrel, a giant pillar covered with bones.
The visit to the Catacombs has a duration of approximately 1.5 hours.
This Private Tour includes:
- Official Tour guide for 2 hours
- Skip the line entrance to Paris Catacombs
- Complete personalized experience
- 24/7 Guardian Angel Service
- Public liability insurance
- Price per person
This Private Tour excludes:
- Food and drinks
- Private luxury vehicle
- No Refund, Modification or Cancellation in any case on any type of tickets or entrance fees.
- Modification of tour/service dates and starting times are subject to availability.
- 48 hours prior to first service date: Free Cancellation on guide and private vehicle with chauffeur. Any type of entrance tickets have no refund.
- Less than 48 hours prior to first service date: No Refund. Payment of 100%.